The department of Orthopaedic Surgery was established in 1970 at Rajshahi Medical College Hospital. Now it is well-established in different branches like Traumatology, Orthopaedic Surgery, Hand and Micro-surgery, Spine surgery, Paediatric Orthopaedic Surgery etc. From its inception the department play an important role in serving the people of northern area of Bangladesh. Our department is running in two ways- Ward No.1 (General beds 32+ Paying beds 6 + Extension 14) and Ward No.31 (General beds 80 + paying beds 10+ Extension-08). We have two units. D-Ortho Course is running here. More than 100 of students admitted here and 65 students completed D-Ortho Course.
- Courses running by the Department Diploma in Orthopaedic Surgery.
Post Graduate class room and facilities –
- Class room is annex to Ward no.1.
- Sitting arrangement : total 30 seats available.
- Books : Orthopaedic Surgery related books are available in Department.
- Audiovisual systems are available for case presentation.
Daily Academic activities:
For MBBS class :
Regular lecture classes.
Practical oriented classes in the ward.
For D. Ortho class
- Weekly lecture class: 4
- Weekly Tutorial class : 3
- Weekly clinical class : 6
- Weekly Journal club : 1
Pre & post operative cases are presented and discussed elaborately in every Sunday & Tuesday. All difficult problematic and complicated cases are discussed in medical board held in every Sunday.
- Case Presentation: 2 days
- Clinical meeting : 2 days
- Central seminar : 3 per year
- Medical board : Every Sunday
- Seminar : 12 per year
- Death Review : After each death
Department arranges scientific seminar one in every month- additionally in every week there is a session for Journal Presentation
In Orthopaedic Department daily approximately 25 emergency operations are done and in schedule operation approximately 30 operations are done in every week.
Unit-I : Unit Chief : Dr. Mohd. Alamgir Hossain, Associate Professor & Head. Admission day : Saturday, Monday ,Wednesday and alternate Friday.
Schedule OT : Monday & Thursday.
Unit-II : Unit Chief : Dr. Subrata Kumar Pramanik, Assistant Professor. Admission day : Sunday, Tuesday ,Thursday and alternate Friday.
Schedule OT : Saturday & Wednesday. Average patient per admission day : 40.
Emergency operation : Performed round the clock 7days in 3 operation table.
Dr. Din Mohammad Sohel (D. Ortho), Junior Consultant posted as Residential Surgeon ( Ortho). Out patients are seen by two Medical Officer and RS (Ortho) at OPD. Plaster room and dressing room are available in OPD.
Future plan of the department:
- To run MS (Ortho surgery) course To establish Hand surgery.
- To establish Spine surgery. To establish Arthroplasty.
- To Establish Arthroscopic surgery.
- To establish Paediatric Orthopaedic surgery. To establish Geriatric Orthopaedics
- To establish deformity correction surgery.