The Department started its journey from 1958 at Sadar Hospital, Rajshahi. Then moved to its new campus at Rajshahi Medical College Hospital, Rajshahi. Now it comprises 294beds including male and female with 16 cabins. It has both indoor, outdoor and emergency service. There is 24 hours admission in its 4 units in 7 days a week.
- Teaching -Lecture classes, Clinical Classes, Practical demonstration both for undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Clinical assessment of undergraduate and post graduate students
- Journal club and death review for Post graduate trainees.
- Guide to post graduate students to make thesis, dissertation or any scientific work.
- Attending scientific seminar, workshop and symposium.
Establishment of a Separate well- furnished Minimal Invassive Surgical Unit (MIS Unit)- Undergoing process
To open a lab for basic surgical skill demonstration for the trainees and residents – Undergoing process To open a library for post graduate students – Undergoing process.